Multicultural mentality

Multicultural mentality
Multicultural mentality

Multicultural mentality

Is there an advantage in experiencing Greek fraternity and sorority life? Many people join these organizations for different objectives. Undeniably some of the motives such as belonging, gaining popularity and elite status over other students sometimes allow some students to achieve self-fulfillment. I confess that I sometimes wonder if sororities and fraternities achieve more division on campus than unity.

Several Greeks contend that fraternities and sororities are organizations that allow students to bond with “like” students while reaching out to the local community. Others admit they are allies for which one can broaden his or her socializing circles. Broadening your social circle is great, but at times you can be deprived of unique experiences when you limit yourself to exclusively befriending one type of friend. But oh well, what do I know? Greek students don’t have a reason to justify their objectives.

I mean I admit that having a lively social circle is awesome, exclusive or not…but be aware that it might be more fun to branch out and try different experiences.

I attended two events lasted week that were hosted by the Delta Sigma Theta sorority. They were hosting their annual Delta Week celebration. The first affair I attended was a date auction for single ladies of different races who were and were not Greek. The men auctioned off were SMU’s finest. You know football players, basketball players and just outright “players.” I was more than impressed by the multicultural event in which the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta were extremely welcoming of their participants. They did not discriminate against anyone, not so much as a sly snub or uncomforting stare, as ladies of different demeanors and social classes boldly challenged each other to win over the bachelor of their choice. It was all in good fun and most of the men appeared happy with their buyers.

To top it off the Deltas, “the ladies with much class,” threw a party on Saturday that was even more entertaining than the first event. At the party I witnessed all types of women “dropping it like it was hot” and fashionable men anxiously “leaning back” as they enjoyed one another’s company. I am happy to see that some social activities outside the campus are becoming more diverse. Did I mention that everybody who is anybody was there? You guessed it, the “players” were in the house again.

It appears that some Greeks aren’t all about excluding themselves to their own private circles and are more open-minded than one may assume.

So before you go off to a party or hang out somewhere that you think will be the “hot spot” just because your under-aged, multicultural-ed SMU classmates aren’t in attendance, reconsider because you could be missing out on tons of fun.

Good looking out Delta Sigma Theta! I am looking forward to another Delta week.