Padron improves, receives honors

SMU quarterback Kyle Padron has been put on the 2010 Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Watch List. The award is presented to quarterbacks annually. The list of candidates will be narrowed down to 16 on Oct. 25. Padron is also on the Manning Award watch list.

One year ago, Padron was an unknown freshman. He has shown great improvement since then. 

“Half the games last year, I’d call a play and he didn’t know it, or generally knew it,” Jones said.

Padron’s school record-breaking 460 yard pass and two touchdowns during the SMU Hawaii bowl game last December caused Padron to become fifth in the nation with a 5-1 record as a starter and was named to the Conference USA All-Freshman Team. He also posted a 159.9 passer rate and was named MVP after the Mustang’s 44-10 win against Nevada. CollegeFootballNews.com ranked his performance in the bowl game eighth best among all players.

“The light came on in the bowl game. And the production will quickly show up as we go to competition,” said Coach June Jones

Although Padron has been put on the watch list due to his performance during the bowl game, he still continues to work even harder during summer practice. According to Jones, Padron exceeded expectations during the off-season.

“He didn’t miss a day of running during the summer. He went over and beyond what he was required to do…”He’s a gym rat, he wants to be good. He’s an accurate passer, he’s a leader He’s what you’re looking for in a quarterback,” Jones said.

The season will open on Sept. 5 against Texas Tech, which will be an ESPN-televised game. 

“Everybody’s starting to get it because we won last year,” Padron said. “It’s more excitement than anything. Pressure comes with it. … I can’t wait for the season opener, and to show that SMU’s back.”