Jared Williams’ road to recovery

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
Running back Jared Williams takes a hand-off from J.J. McDermott.

Running back Jared Williams takes a hand-off from J.J. McDermott. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

With 14 minutes left in the fourth quarter of the BBVA Compass Bowl at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala., SMU was beating The University of Pittsburgh 28-3.

Running back Jared Williams was leading the Mustangs with 11 carries for a total of 40 yards when he was placed on a stretcher and carried off the field.

“The most difficult part of my injury is not being able to really walk,” Williams said.

It was his 11th and final carry of the game when Pittsburgh’s safety hit Williams in just the wrong way. The tackle snapped Williams’ femur in three places.

Since the injury, Williams has had a successful surgery and is now in rehab at IMG Academy in his hometown of Bradenton, Fla. He will remain in Florida for the spring semester.

“I hope to be ready by the end of April so I can start training for practice in the summer,” he said.

In his first season with the Mustangs, Williams had a total of 42 carries and 180 rushing yards.

William’s injury affected linebacker Ja’Gared Davis.

“Jared is like my little brother,” Davis said.

Davis tries to keep up with Williams and his progress despite the distance. Davis hopes Williams will make a full recovery so he can join the stampede back on the field for the 2012 to 2013 season.

“He is a major part of our team and family,” Davis said.

Upon getting a medical release, Williams wants to get back into football and be with his teammates.

SMU football fan Trevor Wolfe was watching the game when Williams’ injury occurred.

“When the safety hit him low you could see his leg flop,” Wolfe said. “I knew it wasn’t going to be good.”

Wolfe is looking forward to the rest of Williams’ career.

Despite his broken leg, it was a successful game for Williams and his first bowl game victory.

The Mustangs finished the game ahead of Pittsburgh, 28-6.

SMU defense played an impressive game. Pittsburgh was unable to score any points in the first half and ended the game without a single touchdown.

This was the first time the two teams met since the 1983 Cotton Bowl, which SMU won 7-3.

The BBVA Compass Bowl was the second bowl game victory for SMU in the past three years.

Despite a long road ahead of him, Williams is working for a full recovery.