Manthey named Student Development Officer

Arlene Manthey has assumed the role of Student Affairs Development Officer. The former Director of Student Activities has served the Division of Student Affairs for the past 21 years, and this newly created position will have her working on a variety of fund-raising initiatives for student activities.

Manthey takes student activities very seriously, and said they have a very important place in the SMU community.

“This aspect of the collegiate experience, the organizations, events, clubs, intramurals, when students leave and become alums, this is what really connects someone to this place,” Manthey said. “We can do more if we have the financial assistance.”

Vice President for Student Affairs Jim Caswell agrees.

“Student Affairs has needs, and having a full time officer to work with the development office is what we needed” to focus on those needs, he said.

Manthey said the first aspect of her job is identifying the Division of Student Affairs’ needs for and its financial priorities. These include student scholarships, leadership initiatives, improvements to the Hegi Family Career Center and the Memorial Health Center.

University officials said they will focus on getting alumni who were highly involved in student activities during their time as students to make donations to SMU. They would like to see an increase in the number of alumni who donate to the university.

“A lot of people giving a little bit of money is just as good as one person giving a lot of money,” said Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Student Life Dee Siscoe.

Manthey agrees. “Our percentage (of alumni who donate to SMU) is not where it could and should be,” she said, adding that less than 20 percent of alumni make donations to the university.

The work Manthey will do will be in conjunction with the university’s next capitol campaign, which will commemorate the centennial celebration of the university.