Mustangs to take on Green Wave

After an atrocious 45-20 loss against Houston last week, SMU is anxious to get back on the field and get back in the Conference USA title mix.

The Mustangs take on the Tulane Green Wave in a pivotal Conference USA game at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.

In 2009, the Green Wave finished with a 3-9 record overall and a 1-7 record in conference play. Last week Tulane picked up their first conference win of the year with a 34-24 victory over UTEP.

Last year’s contest between SMU and Tulane came down to the wire and saw the Mustangs prevail 26-21 after scoring the game winning touchdown with five minutes remaining in the game. Both teams have the same signal callers under center this year and fireworks are expected.

Quarterback Kyle Padron has been solid this year, passing for 2,136 yards and 21 touchdowns. Padron threw for 318 yards and two touchdowns against Houston but also tossed two crucial interceptions.

Padron has three solid wide receivers to throw the ball to. Aldrick Robinson leads the receiving corps with 36 receptions for 681 yards and eight touchdowns. Junior Cole Beasley has not been too bad himself.

He has caught 46 passes for 583 yards and five touchdowns during this season. Finally, Darius Johnson has been yet another explosive offensive weapon for the Mustangs. Johnson has 50 receptions for 495 yards and five touchdowns.

Tulane’s quarterback, sophomore Ryan Griffin, set Tulane’s record for most passing yards (1,382) and passing touchdowns (9) by a freshman quarterback in just six games last season.

On the season, Griffin has thrown for 1,324 yards and seven touchdowns including 201 yards and two touchdowns against UTEP last week.

The Mustangs were able to find a ground game this year behind running back Zach Line who has rushed for 741 yards and five touchdowns so far.

Defensively both teams are surrendering an average of over 28 points per contest. The Mustangs allowed a season high 45 points to the Cougars last week.

Both teams are looking to climb up the Conference USA ladder in a pre-Halloween affair that should be a treat to fans.