MTV VJ visits SMU

MTV VJ visits SMU
MTV VJ visits SMU

MTV VJ visits SMU

More than 100 Asian-American high school students participated in the 24-hour Asian American Leadership and Educational Conference at SMU over the weekend where MTV News Correspondent SuChin Pak was a speaker. The theme of the conference was “Breaking The Mold and Remembering Our Roots.” Asian-American college students created AALEC to help promote leadership and networking among local DFW Asian-American high school students.

“Many Asian Americans are not vocal in our society and the leadership conference is to help students learn how to speak out and take a leading role at school and in their communities,” program director Lily Panchasarp said.

The students and volunteers were locked in Dedman College from 8 a.m. Friday to 3 p.m. on Saturday. They attended leadership workshops and creative activities put on by AALEC and other SMU students. DMSA Director Jennifer Jones spoke at the “Leading with Integrity” workshop where the main focus was to teach the students how to be leaders with integrity.

The student panel hosted the “True Colors” workshop where all of the participants were educated on how to communicate in a team of people whose personalities are different than their own.

“After the workshops, I felt like I knew a lot more about myself than I did before. I also feel like I know more about college life,” J.J. Pearce High School junior Anthony Morrison said. Other activities included skits, plays, and talent shows directed by the AALEC students and performed by the high school students.

Much of the conference was directed towards first and second generation Asian Americans. It concentrated on creating an environment where breaking the traditional Asian mold and staying true to Asian roots in other areas would both be an acceptable path.

Pak was invited to get students excited and to provide inspiration. She joked with the audience saying, “I was in contrary to the Asian stereotypes. When I was a student I was bad in math and science both, so I pursued a career in television and entertainment.”

Pak told the students of how her career in television was by accident. Pak spoke about how she felt inferior because of the shape and form of eyes. She told the students that from the time that she moved to the United States, at age five, she was always looking for a way to fit in. Pak said she tried everything to make herself look western, but then she finally realized that she could never be white as was her best friend. Embracing her own individuality was the start of her success.

“I thought she was awesome, honest, and straightforward. I could relate to her because she was an immigrant Asian American who has experienced the same experiences that I have. I also don’t believe that you have to look western to be successful,” J.J. Pearce High School Senior Kimberly Tran said.

Pak’s career begin at 16 when she volunteered for an after school program. She was interviewed on camera at the event and then got a phone call a couple of weeks later from a youth television producer. Her parents allowed her to take the after school job on the youth television talk show. The talk show opportunity lead to other advancements which later lead to her job with MTV. This allows her to cover real news along with entertainment. She covered 9/11 and she influenced MTV executives to cover the Tsunami tragedy of which she was the lead correspondent.

“The Asian community is my biggest supporter and my biggest critic. I have a responsibility to our community,” Pak said. “I hope that the work that I do changes the way Americans view easterners.”

She encouraged the students to pursue careers in entertainment, broadcast and various other fields. Her advice to any student who is trying to pursue a career in television broadcast or entertainment is to do as many internships as possible and meet as many people as possible to put yourself in the window of opportunity.

“I hope that you will volunteer to help advance other people because it is a shame to squeeze through the door and not help open it a little wider for the person behind you,” said Pak. Her latest work on MTV can be seen in her documentary “My Life Translated.”

The AALEC conference is held once a year in the spring and high school participants are eligible for two scholarships that AALEC sponsors.

For more information on AALEC visit the Web site at http://people.smu.edu/aalec.