Gibson chosen as new VP

Gibson chosen as new VP
Gibson chosen as new VP

Gibson chosen as new VP

Following a yearlong search, university officials announced Tuesday morning that Dana Gibson has been named vice president for business and finance. Gibson, who is currently serving as vice chancellor for administration and finance at the University of Colorado at Denver, will assume her new position at SMU on June 1.

Gibson has experience in many facets of university life. Since 2002, Gibson has been responsible for overseeing budget, human resources, institutional research, computing services, campus risk management and auxiliary operations. Highlights of her administration include facilitating implementation of a new budget model, working closely with the provost and deans to determine the financial impact of changes to academic programs at the University of Colorado at Denver. She also helped to develop a strategic plan for administration and finance.

Prior to this, Gibson spent 14 years on the faculty and administrative staff of Texas Women’s University, where she held many positions, including her membership of the university’s Strategic Planning Committee. Gibson earned both her B.S. and M.B.A. degrees from TWU, while she earned a Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Arlington, with a major field of business accounting and minor fields of information systems and research methods.

“Dana Gibson brings a breadth of experience in business and management technology that is the perfect match for SMU as we implement campus and technology enhancements,” President R. Gerald Turner said in a press release. “Her expertise will help us advance our goal of providing the best education with carefully managed resources and strategic financial planning. The fact that she has significant teaching experience is an additional asset that she brings to her administration and financial responsibilities at SMU.”

The responsibilities of the university’s chief business and financial officer include the administration of budgets and financial planning; business services, including human resources, risk management and Police Department; campus planning and plant operations; the Controller’s Office; and information technology services.

“The opportunity to be part of the wonderful community at such a distinguished university is one I enthusiastically anticipate,” Gibson said. “I look forward to working with the campus constituents to strategically align resources to attain education goals and advance the university’s vision.”

The nationwide search committee for the new VP was led by Thomas E. Barry, vice president for executive affairs, and included faculty, administrators, staff and students.

“Dr. Gibson will be someone who can quickly jump in with the university’s vision, and also someone that students can truly be excited about,” said student committee member Thomas Kincaid, noting that he was excited about the passion Gibson displayed about working with students.

“Dana Gibson has lived on both the academic and administrative sides of university life,” added Barry. “She will bring to SMU a very high level of energy, enthusiasm, knowledge and experience. We are happy to have her join us.”

Gibson succeeds Morgan Olsen in the vice presidential position. Olsen left SMU last fall to become executive vice president for business and finance at Purdue University.