Mustang Foundation looks for members

The Mustang Foundation, a student-run nonprofit organization created in 2005, is looking for new members. The Foundation raises money and then gives grants to worthy organizations throughout the school year.

Interested students are encouraged to download an application from mustangfoundation.org. Applicants will go through an interview process.

The group began as a nonprofit communication class for junior s and seniors. Since then it has expanded in scope.

According to Mustang Foundation president Ashley Anderson a committee reviews potential groups with each being assigned a rating, with the top rated groups sent to the entire committee.

At that point the group will make a presentation to showcase what they would do with the additional funding.

An advisory board including alumni and professionals from Dallas nonprofits serve in a support role, but its students who do the bulk of the work.

Kathy LaTour, faculty chair for Mustang Foundation, says “It is wonderful to see the power of students when they decide to come together for the common good.”

Last year the Foundation selected Men With Integrity as the grant recipient. Anderson says the group is a “unique organization in that it gives students hands on experience in not only nonprofits, but also with the public relations industry, as well as marketing and event planning.”