Volleyball set for home opener

SMUs Stefanie Kons had 13 assists over the weekend against Prarie View A&M
John Schreiber
SMU’s Stefanie Kons had 13 assists over the weekend against Prarie View A&M

SMU’s Stefanie Kons had 13 assists over the weekend against Prarie View A&M (John Schreiber)

The SMU women’s volleyball team opens its fall home schedule tonight at 7 p.m. with a match against Texas-Arlington at Moody Coliseum.

The Mustangs opened the 2008 season by winning two of three matches at the Baylor Invitational last weekend. After falling to the Baylor Bears 3-0 on Friday, the Mustangs rebounded Saturday to beat Lamar 3-1 and Prairie View A&M 3-0. The Mustangs host the SMU Radisson Invite this weekend.

Tonight will be the first home game for four freshmen who had a big debut in last weekend’s tournament.

Outside hitters Dana Powell and Jessica Oliver, libero Sidney Stewart and setter Kelli Becerra each saw action, with Powell earning a berth on the All-Tournament team.

Sophomore co-captain Kathryn Wilkerson and Powell combined for 59 kills and 71 digs and were named to the All-Tournament team. Senior Natalie Peters and junior Kendra Kahanek combined for 18 blocks.

Peters said going into the tournament that she didn’t feel any pressure playing against the Bears of the Big 12, but the Mustangs couldn’t get it going and were swept 25-17, 25-18, 25-16. In her collegiate debut, Powell led the team with seven kills.

The Mustangs struggled in the opening two sets against Lamar but rebounded for their first victory of the season, 28-26, 18-25, 25-19, 25-19. Stewart had a team-high of 24 digs, and Wilkerson and Powell combined for 35 kills and 38 digs.

The Mustangs finished the tournament in impressive fashion with a 25-11, 25-13, 25-19 sweep of Prairie View A&M. Peters, Kahanek and Adrienne Zielasko each had a pair of blocks.

The Mustangs opened last season 6-0 but stumbled to a season-ending mark of 16-15 after suffering several key inuries. They went 7-9 at home last season.