Keepin’ the faith

Nobody can deny it ­- Friday night was a major disappointment for SMU. After all the advertisements, the “June Cometh” t-shirts, SMU was let down again. Not by its football team, but by its student body.

Once again SMU students showed their school pride by giving up on their team at halftime. At last week’s watch party over 1,200 students came out to watch the Mustangs start their season against Rice. By the end of the game the crowd had shrunk to less than one hundred students.

SMU has everything in place to be a great football school. We have a nicer stadium, though perhaps smaller than most schools in the nation. Our alumni have rallied around our football program increasing our season ticket sales fifty percent from last year. We have a very talented, very young football team, led by a true freshman who will only get better as the season goes on.

And then of course, we have an incredible new coaching staff. I’m not just talking about Jones. Our special teams coach Frank Gansz spent twenty-four years coaching in the NFL, including a stint as the Kansas City Chiefs head coach. The strength and conditioning coach Vic Viloria comes to SMU from LSU where he helped train last years national champion football team.

Yes, last Friday’s loss was disappointing. But, considering Jones previous success, it is only a matter of time before we have a winning program. SMU is unlike other big name schools because of our size.

True we don’t have 50,000 students to pack our stadium. But unlike other schools where athletes are seen only on the field and on billboards, our football players can be seen walking to class, in the library and in Umphrey Lee.

Take advantage of our small size and get to know some of our athletes. Wish them good luck tell them you’ll be cheering for them at the game. Our football players work hard on a daily basis to represent you, the SMU student body, to the best of their ability. The least we can do is cheer them on from the moment they step onto the field until after the game has ended and the varsity has been sung.

Trust me, those fraternity parties can wait. They will be there all semester. Looking back on your college experience what will be more memorable the first win of Coach Jones career at SMU or when we beat TCU at home to win the Iron Skillet or a bus party with a cheesy theme? I hope to see you at the game with all of your SMU spirit. Remember, win or lose, we are still Mustangs. Pony Up!