Horn broken, watch for finger

SMU bikers and skateboarders struggle with sidewalk manners

Here on SMU’s campus, students have come to enjoy the hassle-free trek between classes. Void of major intersections and large amounts of traffic running through the middle of our campus, we rarely have to worry about cars causing a major disturbance as we cross the boulevard.

So when did bicycles, skateboards and scooters become an issue? Today, it’s not rare to see dozens of students zipping across campus on a longboard, whizzing around corners on a ten-speed or skidding down our beautiful sidewalks on a scooter.

Sure we understand the time crunch between classes, but is it really necessary to speed from Meadows to Clements Hall on a bike with no regard to the pedestrians? At least cars have horns to alert us of their presence if the engine isn’t already loud enough. But these other two or four-wheel modes of transportation have no way of notifying students of their whereabouts until it’s too late.

It’s happened on more than one occasion- a student lazily strolling to class gets sideswiped by a biker. No horn, no cute little bell, not even a “Hey! Watch out!” What happened to the days when kids used to trick out their bikes with the little noise makers woven throughout the spokes? At least you could identify oncoming traffic.

Now, if you haven’t encountered the bikers, then maybe the skateboarders have come into your line of vision. It’s totally cool that some of you can do an ollie down the steps in front of McElvaney, but when there are numerous other students trying to get down those very stairs on their way to class, it becomes a bit of a problem.

Also, the weaving in and out of people has got to stop. My cat does that. There’s this unwritten rule about walking on the right side of the sidewalk so people can pass on the left. Why do the skateboarders feel they are exempt from this rule?

Just because they choose to ride rather than walk to class does not give them the right of way. If anything, it should make them more aware of the students stuck wading through mud puddles and jumping over patches of grass.

One comment to the skateboarders, though, is at least we can hear you approaching. The grinding of worn down wheels on the cement is enough to convince anyone to walk in the grass. Maybe you could tell your fellow bike riders to follow your lead and invest in a bell.

If riding your bike or pushing a skateboard around is really the only way you can make it to class on time, then by all means, keep pedaling away, just watch out for the group of pedestrians doing their best to just make it there safely.