Volleyball heads East for weekend tournament

The SMU volleyball team, coming off a disappointing third-place finish in the SMU Radisson Invitational last weekend, faces perhaps its stiffest tests of the season Friday and Saturday at the Ole Miss Invitational.

A pair of 2007 NCAA Tournament teams await the Mustangs, who are 4-3 this season and gearing up for conference play.

The Mustangs face Georgia Tech, the preseason No. 2 pick in the Atlantic Coast Conference, Friday at 10 a.m. After a match against Eastern Illinois at 4 p.m. Friday, SMU faces the host Rebels, the No. 2 pick in the Southeastern Conference’s West Division, at 1 p.m. Saturday.

The Mustangs open league play Tuesday against defending Conference USA champion Tulsa at Moody Coliseum.

SMU went 1-2 at the Radisson, losing to the New Orleans Privateers in four sets and to tournament champion Stephen F. Austin in five sets. Despite the team’s struggles, outside hitters Dana Powell and Kathryn Wilkerson were named to the All-Tournament team. The duo, which has combined for 81 kills this season, also made the All-Tournament team at the Baylor Invitational.

They lead a lethal attack that has romped its opponents this season. SMU’s attack average is .206, nearly .30 points better than its opposition. The Mustangs have the same amount of kills, 309, as their opponents, but they have committed 25 fewer errors.

Senior Natalie Peters and junior Kendra Kahanek lead the Mustangs’ front line with a combined 44 blocks. They have their hands full trying to saw down the trees that will guard the net for Georgia Tech.

Six-foot-two freshman Asia Stawicka has 29 blocks through six matches and is flanked by a pair of 6-foot-1 front liners, who have combined for 32 blocks. The Yellowjackets (5-1) are coming off their first loss of the season, a five-set thriller against Michigan, on Sunday.

Eastern Illinois, on the other hand, has lost four of its last five and is hitting only .149 this season. The Panthers finished third in their own tournament last weekend and have not had a match go beyond four sets.

The Rebels are in a similar predicament as Eastern Illinois. After winning their first two games, they slipped into a four-game skid.

The Rebels’ attack has been the culprit. Ole Miss has managed only a .164 attack percentage, while its opponents are hitting .225. Like the Mustangs, Ole Miss is relatively inexperienced with eight freshmen and sophomores on the roster. The Mustangs are the Rebels’ final opponent before they begin SEC play.