Women’s soccer faces No. 4 USC in weekend match

Mustangs look for win against the defending national champion
SMU defender Kim Peabody goes up to head the ball in a 0-1 loss to Kansas Sept. 7.
Stuart Palley

SMU defender Kim Peabody goes up to head the ball in a 0-1 loss to Kansas Sept. 7. (Stuart Palley)

After being shutout in four games, three of which were against nationally ranked teams, the SMU Mustangs head to California to take on NCAA reigning champ USC and Cal State Fullerton.

In the team’s first road outing last weekend, the Mustangs struggled against No. 2 Notre Dame and Ball State, coming up empty-handed in both matches. The Irish defeated the Mustangs 5-0 on Friday, followed by a 2-0 loss against Ball State on Sunday. The series puts the Mustangs at 1-4-1 heading into Trojan territory.

“We learned that we need players that can pull off consistent performances from a Friday to a Sunday,” explained assistant coach Derek Leader.

Freshmen Sarah Catherine Ryan, Mary Connally, Kaitlyn Eidson, and Devon Herrman led the attack for the Mustangs last weekend in both games and are expected to have a strong impact against the Trojans and Titans.

“We’ve got a really young squad, and it’s always good to get those players in,” said Leader. “We’re not afraid to play those players.”

The Cal State Fullerton Titans are currently ranked No. 21 by the National Soccer Coaches of America Association. The Titans are 4-3 on the season so far, and 1-1 on their home field. Cal State Fullerton, however, is on a three-game losing streak after dropping to Virginia Tech and Wake Forest in the Wake Forest Tournament last weekend. The Titans wrapped up last season with a first-round loss to UCLA in the NCAA Tournament.

Cal State Fullerton averages 1.43 goals per game and 12 shots on goal. Goalkeepers Shannon Simpson and Margaret Dupes have been averaging 1.55 and 1.57 saves per game, respectively.

The 2005, ’06 and ’07 Big West champions will square off against the Mustangs Friday at 6 p.m.

Following Friday’s game, the Mustangs will take on No. 4 Southern California for their fourth chance to defeat a nationally ranked program. Already off to a strong start, the Trojans total season goal count already equals that of the total number of goals the team scored in the 2002 season. The record between the two teams stands at 0-2 in favor of USC. The Trojans remain undefeated on their home turf.

Nine different scorers lead the offensive effort for the Trojans. Averaging three goals per game, the Trojans have a near perfect record, having lost only one of their seven games in the 2008 season.

The Trojans return 10 starters from the national championship roster. USC picked up nine new players to round out the talent base.

“USC doesn’t play on Friday which is unfortunate for us, but we’re taking one match at a time. USC is a top ranked team, but Fullerton is very good as well, and we’re taking Friday’s match first, and that’s the game we want to win,” explained Leder.

As for the Mustangs, Leder stressed the importance of the team needing to be ready for each opponent, no matter the day. Caitlin Carter remains SMU’s leading scorer after a hat trick against Prairie View A&M put her in the lead with three goals. Goalkeeper Ashley Gunter has averaged 2.49 saves per game, with a total of 31 saves in the book.

Sunday’s game is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.

The Mustangs will return to Westcott Field on Sept. 26 to host Colorado College in the first Conference USA matchup of the season.