‘Momma’s boys’ take the field

Ja’Gared Davis and his mom, Gayla Davis, embrace after a home
Courtesy of Marcos R. Quintana/ VisualQ Photography

Ja’Gared Davis and his mom, Gayla Davis, embrace after a home (Courtesy of Marcos R. Quintana/ VisualQ Photography)

Families will make their way from different parts of the country this weekend to spend quality time with their sons and daughters who attend SMU. Family Weekend centers around weekend football festivities such as open house, a student talent show, the traditional tailgating on the Boulevard and preparing to Pony Up at the game.

Like the rest of the student body, athletes and their families make plans to enjoy family time.

“It’s a part of the season I really enjoy because I usually don’t get to see them,” SMU offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum said.

For parents, it’s a homecoming not only watching their child on the field but also reuniting with other parents.

“Seeing our family members present as one and getting to see the parents again is just a special time,” said mom Culetta Beachum.

Family Weekend also reminds athletes that their is SMU support outside the stadium.

Beachum’s mom also said when players see a glimpse of their support system in the stands, that makes all the difference.

“Something that I have learned as a parent is regardless of how busy our schedules are, my children faces lighten when he see us in the stands.”

SMU Line Backer Ja’Gared Davis believes Family Weekend helps all players.

“The boulevard really takes a hold on because you have a lot of family and then you have a lot of supporters that come together,” Beachum said.

Davis said family bonding goes beyond the field and into the lifestyles of the football team.

“Everybody looks at each other as a brother or a father figure, and we all look up to each other,” David said.

Along with sharing sweat, armor pads and victories, the SMU Football team has learned to share something else.

“In family weekend we always share each other’s parents,” Davis said. “My mom is like Banjo’s mom so we all just share mother’s around here so it’s honestly like a family.”

Davis’ mom can agree.

His mom said she has been known as the mother figure for her son’s friends. She has helped cheer them on, give the pep talk and even made game day signs for her son and the players.

“For athlete’s parents to get involved, it shows that you’re not always proud of them at home but your also proud of them in their extracurricular activities.”

Davis said that it’s important for parents to show how much they love their athletes on and off the field.

“It’s important to verbalize to your child and let them know and let the world know how proud you are of your child.”

Gayla Davis encourages parents to come support their child because a parent will never know what that means to a

player.

“Even if I can only make to the last 3 or 4 minutes of the game, I still like to show my face to show him that I love him,” Davis’ mom said