Construction Briefs

Construction continues around campus

East Side Improvements

Preparation continues for the construction of the Sigma AlphaEpsilon and Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity houses as well as a parkinglot in the 3000 block of Dyer Street.

The project also involves building an 8-foot brick wall alongDublin Street between Dyer Street and University Boulevard.

In addition, Dyer Street will be rerouted to connect withMcFarlin Boulevard. Work is expect to be finished by summer2005.

Occasional increases in truck traffic in the area are to beexpected. Construction occurs between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Mondaythrough Friday.

The project is being carried out by SMU and the City ofUniversity Park. The City of University Park is working on streetconstruction and building of the wall, all of which is being paidfor by the University. SMU is contracting for the asbestosabatement, demolition, street reconnection, parking lot andconstruction of the fraternity houses.

SMU Boulevard

Construction continues on SMU Boulevard between Dublin andBoedecker Street.

The construction involves the installation of water and sewerlines, which causes periodic interruptions in water supply to thefraternity houses for no more than a few hours at a time.

Students, faculty and staff are urged to observe warning anddirectional signs when driving or walking in the area.

Other Construction

Expansion of facilities for the Guild Hall program atSMU-in-Legacy in Plano continues. Among the new additions is amotion capture studio.

Additions and renovations are being made to the Sigma PhiEpsilon and is due for completion by spring 2005.

Planning has started on the J. Lindsay Embrey EngineeringBuilding, which will be located on the southwest corner of DyerStreet and Airline Road. No schedule has been established for thisproject.

Please direct questions about construction to Gary Shultz ofPublic Affairs at [email protected].