McDermott to start in second home game

After a break in the heat for a morning Mustang practice Thursday, head football coach June Jones made his final decision that J.J. McDermont will start in the game this weekend against Northwestern State.

“They have each been extremely focused all week. Although J.J. will start, Kyle will also play in the game. I wanted him to play in the second quarter second series last week but we never had that opportunity, ” Jones said.

Talent wise Northwestern State has some good players, and it is predicted to be a good game.

Last week’s game was McDermont’s first time to start against UTEP and he threw for a 28-17 victory.

His first debut was at the Texas A&M game when Jones replaced Padron for him early in the game. He had 254 yards passing and a touchdown, although was sacked several times.

The 6’4″ transfer from University of New Mexico should be prepared to play in front of a big crowd this weekend since it is family weekend on the Hilltop.

This will be his second time starting on Gerald J. Ford stadium turf.

“Both players had very good practices all week. Northwestern State has a fast team, fast receivers and quarterback,” Jones said.

“We gotta go out there and win our home games,” Jones complimented of his players’ performance this week.