Mavs begin training camp at Crum

For the next couple of weeks, a former NBA MVP, an Olympic champion and other world class basketball players will call the Hilltop home.

The Dallas Mavericks, led by All-Stars Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd and Josh Howard, begin their training camp today at the recently completed Crum Center. The $13 million facility, which was completed last February, was constructed for use by the SMU men’s and women’s basketball teams.

“This is a win-win situation for the Mavs to come to SMU,” said owner Mark Cuban at the team’s media day on Monday. “It’s easy to get to, and it makes things a lot easier for a lot of folks.”

The SMU campus is fewer than seven miles away from the American Airlines Center, which hosted the team’s previous training camp. The Crum Center also features two courts, while the American Airlines Center had only one. In addition, the facility offers a state-of-the-art weight room, locker room and training room.

SMU men’s basketball coach Matt Doherty said he demanded the new facility when he signed as head coach in 2006. The Crum Center was dedicated last February and has already drawn rave reviews from local coaches, including Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle.

“[The Crum Center] is a great facility,” said Carlisle. “I talked to Mark Cuban about it, and he liked the idea about doing something here in Dallas. This gives the university some exposure.”

Mavericks players are also excited about getting preparations for the 2008-2009 season underway at SMU’s new facility.

“I can’t wait to get over there and get started,” said guard Jerry Stackhouse, who has been with the Mavericks since 2004. “We’re very thankful for the athletic staff and what they’ve given us. Now we can give them some credit when we have a great year.”

The Mavericks have already used SMU’s track for offseason conditioning, and Kidd and Nowitzki, who participated in the Olympics last summer, will have the opportunity to measure what they learned last summer.

The Mavericks, who disappointingly lost in the first round of the playoffs last year, hope it all translates into wins when the season rolls around.

“We’re still an elite team in the Western Conference,” said guard Jason Terry. “People still know it, but there’s doubt creeping into their minds. We love it though. We’re playing with a chip on our shoulders.”

The Mavericks won’t be the only team benefitting from the new practice facilities. Doherty said in his Sept. 22 blog that the spotlight will give SMU some positive name association with a professional team, which could help with recruiting.

Prior to the completion of the Crum Center, the men’s basketball team, women’s basketball team and volleyball team all shared the same court at Moody Coliseum, which created serious scheduling headaches. Now, each team has its own court to practice on, with a temporary tenant, the Mavericks, shacking up at Crum Center for training camp.

The Mustangs will have the courts back before Oct. 17, when official practices begin.