First victory for SMU

An SMU defender attempts to retrieve the ball back from a UNT player. CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus

The women’s soccer team earned its first win of the season Friday against the University of North Texas at Westcott Field in a 1-0 win.

Freshman forward Kenzie Scovill scored in the tenth minute for the game’s only goal, and sophomore goalkeeper Courtney Webb shut out the Mean Green in a 1-0 win.

“I think it’s always important to keep a clean sheet, and Courtney is a good goalkeeper,” said head coach Brent Erwin. “To get a win against a team like that is good for the whole team.”

Sophomore forward Logan May again led the offense for the Mustangs (1-2-0), taking four shots to bring her season total to eight. Junior midfielder Leslie Briggs shares the team lead with eight shots after taking three on Friday against UNT.

With the win, the Mustangs improved to 11-3-3 all time against the Mean Green and built on their 19-5 record in season openers.

Despite SMU scoring just one goal across its first three games, Erwin is not worried about the team’s offense.

“It’s early,” he said. “I think everyone wants to score goals, but what’s important is that we really created a lot of chances and we learned to play with the lead.”

Erwin believes more games will help his players continue to work together and improve their performance.

“As the team becomes more of a unit, you’re going to see more and more goals,” he said.

SMU will travel to Moraga, Calif., this weekend for the Saint Mary’s Tournament, playing the host Gaels (2-3-0) on Friday before facing off against the No. 14 University of California-Berkeley Golden Bears (3-1-0) Sunday.

“They’re two very good teams,” Erwin said. “But we’re a good team too, and we’ll relish the challenge they’ll give us.”

The Mustangs return home to take on No. 3 University of Portland Pilots (5-0-0) on Sunday, Sept. 20 at 1:30 p.m.