SMU splits weekend matches

It was a bittersweet weekend for the SMU men’s soccer team at the Radison Tulsa Airport Classic.

The weekend started off with a 1-0 loss to the No. 3 ranked University of Akron. The team played again Sunday and beat Seattle University 4-0.

Friday’s game was an evenly matched pairing. The only goal, scored by Akron’s Blair Gavin, occurred during a penalty.

Both teams had two shots on the goal. Both of SMU’s shots on goal came from sophomores

Freshmen T.J. Nelson, Ian Kalis, Josue Soto and Tate McMullen all had their first Mustang field experience at this Friday’s game. Although the game did not end with a positive result for the team, head coach Tim McClements is still optimistic.

” Even though we lost, we still can take some positives from the game,” McClements said in a press release. “We performed well, especially as the game went on.”

Sunday was a very different story for the Mustangs as they came out strong with an easy 4-0 win over Seattle.

Senior Paulo de Silva had two goals during the game, making this his highest scoring games since 2005. De Silva’s first goal was off an assist from senior Dane Saintus, the second was from freshman T.J. Nelson.

Ivo scored two minutes after de Silva’s first goal also with a pass from Saintus. Saintus later added his own goal to the scoreboard in the 85th minute. It was a great game for both offense and defense as SMU junior goalkeeper Craig Hill had his eighth shut out in his career. Hill saved two shots on the goal.

The team will travel to Providence Rhode Island this weekend to play in the Adidas-Brown Classic. The Mustangs will go head to head with Brown University on Friday and Yale University on Sunday.