Debates fail in swaying voters

No real winner decided in VP and presidential talks

In an election season that continues to leave many voters on the fence on who they will vote for come Nov. 4, negative conversations are providing undecided citizens with nothing more than unanswered questions and feelings of confusion.

Nearly 63.2 million viewers tuned into the debates in Nashville, nearly 17 million more viewers than was recorded by Nielsen in the second debate during the 2004 election. With this new record viewer count, the McCain versus Obama debate ranked as the 10th most-viewed debate in the nation’s history. So why, with all the attention received last night do many people still feel left in the dark about who to vote for.

Senator John McCain and Governor Sarah Palin wait in one corner for Senators Barack Obama and Joe Biden to misinform the public, or vice versa. However, until the candidates actually decide to address issues such as the failing economy or the never ending war in Iraq, the U.S. is unlikely to devote a full evening to the back and forth banter.

On the eve of each debate, Democrats and Republicans anxiously await for the opposing presidential or vice presidential candidate to stumble. Blatant attacks have been fired back and forth, but without the chance for a follow-up question, as was the case in Tuesday’s debate, trying to fire off specific accusations is out of the question.

Sure, everyone enjoys poking fun of their opponent, but it’s time for either candidate to see past this, and discuss their plans on moving our nation forward. Throwing punches really shows nothing more than a sign of weakness, and with the race as close as it is, neither man can risk losing votes at the cost of putting down the other guy. It should also be recognized that by simply pointing out another man’s faults can be the lowest strategy in covering up one’s own weaknesses.

If you’ve noticed, Michelle Obama was put on the back burner after sending off some negative comments toward the McCain campaign. Maybe her husband and his opposition could learn a thing or two from her vow of silence.

People should be tuning in to these debates to learn about each candidate’s opinion and advice towards foreign policy, preventing another economic depression and maybe even getting our troops out of Iraq. Past voting results of Obama and McCain are of little importance when it ultimately comes down to who will be leading our country for the next four years.