McClements, team prepare for change

After a disappointing 10-6-2 2008 season, the men’s soccer team is ready for a new approach and new success.

Last year the team underwent a change in coaching staff, an addition of 15 new freshman players, as well as many injuries to key players.

“We have a talented group and our job is to make sure we are firing on all cylinders,” says head coach Tim McClements.

After a season of transition, McClements is hopeful that all aspects of the team can achieve the high levels that have been expected of the previously No. 2 ranked team, now consistently ranked in the top 25.

“Our goal is simple; to get better day in and day out,” said McClements.

Five freshmen joined the squad in August; defenders Austin Hiatt and Bryan Ponas, forwards Ben Hill, Blake Milton and TJ Nelson.McClements said that he was “pleasantly surprised” by the new additions.

The team is naturally older and more dynamic with several members of last year’s recruiting class burning their red shirts to step foot on the field in the 2009 season as well as some eligible and promising fifth-year seniors.

At press time, the team had not decided their captains, but there are several players to watch in the coming season.

No.7, Palo da Silva, has been named a Pre-season All American along with several other prestigious honors throughout his career. Da Silva has much respect for his fellow teammates.

“Practicing with these guys, these top players, it’s like playing a game everyday; the quality is there,” Da Silva said. McClements has high hopes for the upperclassmen on the team, “Our productivity is going to be from our older players.”

The away season kickoff is against the No. 1 ranked, Akron. Although the SMU team does spend a lot of time on the road and away from their fans, like always, they are hungry for a win during their first at-home contest; The SMU Invitational, where the team will play Cal State Northridge and Bradley on Sept. 18 and 20. The following weekend will be just as intense when the Mustangs go head to head with conference rival, UAB.

With a team composed of seasoned athletes and personalities, the 2009-2010 season may capture the eye of SMU students. Both coaches and players appreciate all who attend the games and claim it does make a difference. If the mustangs live up to their self-determined goals, it is sure to be an exciting season and one worth being in the stands for.