Mavs give glowing review of new practice facility

Dallas Mavericks Head Coach Rick Carlisle speaks to media members after practicing in SMUs Crum Center Saturday afternoon.
Lindsey Perkins
Dallas Mavericks Head Coach Rick Carlisle speaks to media members after practicing in SMU’s Crum Center Saturday afternoon.

Dallas Mavericks Head Coach Rick Carlisle speaks to media members after practicing in SMU’s Crum Center Saturday afternoon. (Lindsey Perkins)

The Dallas Mavericks completed preseason training camp Monday at SMU’s Crum Center, and reviews from players and coaches indicate that the practice facility was worth every bit of its $13 million price tag.

“This was a godsend for us,” said Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle after last Friday’s practice. “It’s a world-class facility.”

The 43,000-square-foot center was completed last February, after more than two years of construction. It has two practice courts, one for the SMU men’s basketball team and one for the women’s basketball team, a training room and weight room.

The Mavericks, who played their first preseason game Tuesday night, began preparations Sept. 30 and spent six days practicing at SMU. They return to their home arena, American Airlines Center, to complete preseason practices before opening the regular season Oct. 30 against the Houston Rockets.

Nineteen players were selected for the team’s training camp roster, and cramming all of them onto the Mavericks’ single practice court at American Airlines Center was going to be a task.

So, after being hired by the Mavericks last May, Carlisle went to work finding a suitable practice facility-and it didn’t take him long to find one.

Carlisle said he got in touch with SMU men’s basketball head coach Matt Doherty about practicing at the Crum Center. When Doherty gave his blessing, Carlisle turned to Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to get the thumbs up. Cuban didn’t have to think hard about it.

“It ended up being a pretty easy sell,” said Carlisle. “Mark (Cuban) sees this as an opportunity to get involved with the local university. He’s all for making positive relationships in the community.”

Said Cuban at the team’s media day Sept. 29: “This is a win-win situation for the Mavs to come to SMU. It’s easy to get to, and it makes things a lot easier for a lot of folks.”

Carlisle said that the university didn’t charge the Mavericks rental fees, but only for basis expenses accrued during their week spent there. Also, the practice facility is close to many players’ and coaches’ homes.

Carlisle said he is open to the idea of bringing training camp back to Crum Center next season, but the final decision will be made by Cuban. Whether the Mavericks return to SMU or not, Doherty is grateful for last week’s experience.

“It was great hosting this classy organization and we wish them well as they start their season,” said Doherty in his blog Monday. “It was a thrill to get to know the Mavs’ coaches, players and staff. They are a first-class group.”

Mavericks players couldn’t find much about the new facility to pick at.

“It’s been great,” said 2007 NBA Most Valuable Player Dirk Nowitzki. “The facility is awesome … Everything has been first class.” Nowitzki jokingly admitted that his only problem was finding a parking spot near the facility.

Shooting guard Jason Terry described the facility as “first class,” and veteran guard Jerry Stackhouse said at the media day that the team is anxious to “give [SMU] some credit when we have a great year.”

Not only does the university benefit from the Mavericks’ presence at Crum Center, but the SMU men’s and women’s basketball teams could receive some positive “bounce,” as Doherty described it in his Sept. 22 blog.

Doherty said the increased publicity gives SMU a good name in the college basketball community, which could help with recruiting.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams begin preseason practice Oct. 17. Both teams begin their seasons Nov. 14.