Student Senate briefed on H1N1; new fall plans

The student senate received an in-depth briefing on the recent H1N1 outbreak sweeping across campus at Tuesday afternoon’s meeting.

Currently, 20 cases of the “swine flu” have been reported, and numbers are expected to increase due to students’ close proximity to one another.

Lee Arning, SMU’s emergency preparedness officer, explained that the university is aware of the current flu situation and is working aggressively to keep the community disease-free.

The Centers for Disease Control’s Guidelines for Institutions of Higher Education in response to H1N1, which have been adopted by SMU, include isolating students with flu-like symptoms by asking them to remain home and away from classes, as well as mandating routine cleaning of “high-touch” surfaces like doorknobs, bathroom fixtures and desks.

There is also a provision for canceling classes altogether if conditions become dangerous.

Arning reassured senators that necessary medicines have been stockpiled at the Memorial Health Center, including seasonal flu vaccines. The H1N1 vaccine, which comes in two injections, will also be available soon.

SMU Student Body President Patrick Kobler also rolled out two new initiatives, the first of which is a student-led alcohol and drug awareness campaign called “Mustangs Who Care.”

In response to the recommendations set forth by the president’s Task Force on Substance Abuse Prevention last year, the SMU community has been earnestly focused on student safety in regards to alcohol and drug use.

“Mustangs Who Care” stresses the importance of students taking care of one another by educating them about the signs of alcohol poisoning, and how to ask for assistance for a friend who may be in danger.

The program will also include information on SMU’s Call for Help program, a medical amnesty protocol that was set up last year to encourage students to seek medical attention in an alcohol or drug-related emergency by removing fears about punishment from local and SMU police.

Kobler ‘s second initiative introduced the concept of adding three new “unique representational seats” to the Senate. The plan, Kobler says, will help bolster the voices of special-interest groups on campus he feels are currently stifled. Those groups include students with disabilities and transfer students.

A new Greek seat is also up for consideration. Students in Greek organizations make up approximately 38 percent of the SMU population, and Kobler says their voices should be heard.

In the past, the senate has included a Greek seat. The position was phased out because student representatives believed that student senators involved in Greek organizations were sufficiently advocating for that community.