Forced to live gluten free

Dr. Kate Naumes was diagnosed with celiac disease the summer after her senior year of college.

She had struggled most of her young adult life with fatigue, anemia and a lot of vague symptoms that her primary care doctor could not identify with a specific disease.

She ended up leaving school on a medical leave of absence because her health was so poor.

Once she was diagnosed with celiac disease her life did a complete 360.

“The first couple of years were really challenging because at first I was told that I couldn’t eat wheat,” Dr. Naumes said.

Celiac disease is a condition where the immune system responds abnormally to gluten.

Gluten is found in wheat, rye, barley and a multitude of prepared foods.

“Celiac disease can occur in people of any age and it affects both genders,” Dr. Naumes said.

Symptoms of celiac disease are an atrophy of intestines, weight loss, vitamin deficiencies or low iron or vitamin D.

Also, people may suffer from stomach pains, bowl movements or drowsiness.

“I am always cautious when ordering out and ask questions but in the end of the day your word only gets so far and I can’t just live in a hole for the rest of my life, so naturally, I take my chances,” SMU junior Alison Fagan said.

Fagan was diagnosed with celiac disease when she was 13 years old.

Fagan is studying abroad in Australia this semester and says that she has found it easier to eat gluten free abroad than it is here in the states.

“I have found many more restaurants are aware of gluten intolerances,” she said.”Many burger places have gluten free buns, which is something I have not seen in burger places in America.”

Also, the Dominos Pizza in Australia recently came out with gluten free pizza crust and the supermarkets have more gluten free products.

At home, Fagan only shops at Whole Foods Market.

She believes they have a great variety of gluten free products, but for the average person the shopping at Whole Foods can get pricey.

It is important for people to be tested for celiac disease, but just because you suffer from some of the symptoms listed above does not mean you have celiac disease.

Some people are just more sensitive to gluten than others.

If this is the case, you should still be wary of eating foods that contain gluten, but you do not have to worry about the long-term effects people with celiac disease may be candidates for.

Celiac disease, if not treated, can lead to problems with the pancreas, liver and thyroid glands.

It can put you at risk for certain types of cancers and infertility.

The treatment for celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from your diet completely.

Dr. Naumes has come up with several recipes and tips for living a gluten free life that you can find on the SMU Health and Fitness Blog.

She also says that one of her favorite restaurants in the Dallas area that caters to people with celiac disease is Spiral Diner, located in the Oakcliff neighborhood.

Dr. Naumes is a licensed naturopathic doctor and resides and practices in Dallas.