Renholm, Cole, Culbertson represent SMU at NCAA Championships

The SMU men’s swimming and diving team’s season is now complete after competing in this year’s NCAA championships, March 27-29 in Columbus, Ohio.

The team sent two swimmers, senior Pontus Renholm and junior Tom Cole as well as junior diver Matthew Culbertson.

After the second day of competition, Renholm had come in 29th in the 100-yard backstroke. Cole competed in the 100-yard breaststroke and finished 18th. Cole also earned his personal best time in that event on Saturday. This was Cole’s first season with the Mustangs; he previously swam for the University of Arizona.

Culbertson, a NCAA newcomer, competed in the 3-meter dive, finishing with a score of 332.60, according to smumustangs.com.

In 2008, Renholm aided the Mustangs in finishing 14th in the NCAA championships as well as being named an All-American. He also competed in the championships in 2007 as a freshman.

After a strong start to the weekend, SMU finished 35th after Sunday’s events. Cole placed 18th again, this time in the 200-yard breaststroke. Renholm was just a few seconds shy of advancing into the next round in the 200-yard backstroke event.

The SMU women’s swimming and diving team, which finished 27th in their NCAA championship, will participate in the Columbus Grand Prix this weekend, April 1-3 before they also conclude their season.