A new drunk dialing?

Google Goggles help prevent late-night e-mails

Last week, Google Labs released a new e-mail application that can potentially save Gmail users from a whole mess of embarrassment. The new “Google Goggles” force users to input a series of simple math equations before being allowed to send an e-mail.

It’s a lot like those random words you have to put in before making e-mail accounts or posting on message boards. The new application is a defense mechanism against the drunk e-mailer (not to be confused with the drunk texter or drunk dialer). The new feature activates late on weeknights and on the weekend, but can be adjusted to the user’s preferences.

Google Goggles seems like an amazing idea. Not only does it stop e-mails from being sent from the alcohol impaired, but also those sent in fits of rage. The only unfortunate thing about the application is: who actually sends e-mails while intoxicated? We understand the number of people with smart phones is steadily growing and many have access to e-mail while on-the-go, but e-mail doesn’t seem to be the culprit of impaired communication.

What really needs to be invented is some sort of “goggles” for cell phones in general. Too often we make and receive phone calls we shouldn’t. Having a friend take away your phone is, at most times, not enough. But then again, if you’re too out of control to refrain from sending a text message or dialing a number you’ll regret in the morning, maybe you deserve it.

Google Goggles is more amusing than practical. The idea is awesome, but ultimately it comes down to the person and his or her sheer willpower. If you want to send an e-mail at 1 a.m. on a Thursday night telling your ex that you shouldn’t have broken up, having to solve a few math problems beforehand won’t stop you.

It’s kind of sad we live in a world where things like Google Goggles exist. This whole having to be “connected” at all times with cell phones, Blackberries and the like is becoming a serious problem. If we are worrying about methods of stopping drunken communication, our priorities are seriously out of whack.

But next time you’re sending that text or making that late night phone call you’ll be sure to regret in the morning, just think about Google Goggles. Maybe it’ll save your pride, at least until the next time you get the urge to do something stupid.