Deal or no deal?

An official agreement has not been made between Brown and SMU depsite reports made by ESPN
Hall of famer Larry Brown, Indiana assistant coach Steve McClain and Marquette assistant coach Tony Benford will all be interviewing at SMU for the head coach position.
Photo illustration by Spencer J Eggers

Hall of famer Larry Brown, Indiana assistant coach Steve McClain and Marquette assistant coach Tony Benford will all be interviewing at SMU for the head coach position. (Photo illustration by Spencer J Eggers)

Larry Brown has agreed to become the next head basketball coach at SMU sources told ESPN.com’s Jason King, who announced the agreement Tuesday.

However, the SMU Athletic Department has not confirmed the agreement yet with Brown, 71, whose contract details have been rumored to include a salary of $1.75 million.

Later Tuesday evening, Brown denied that he had accepted the job according to ESPN.com, “at this point I have not been offered the job so I cannot have accepted it.”

Brown is the only coach to ever win an NCAA title and an NBA championship.

He is regarded as one of the best coaches ever because of his ability to rebuild teams to championship form.

Brown has not always stayed in one place long, but maybe he will stay at SMU long enough to build it into a perennial contender in the Big East.

The media frenzy surrounding this developing story, one that is topping national headlines continues to unfold.

It is believed that the delay is the uncertainty of what would be Brown’s assistants at SMU.

Brown spent time at home in Philadelphia after interviewing with SMU on Sunday to set up his staff.

The speculation that Brown will be here to build SMU then leave is one of the reasons why Illinois State head coach Tim Jankovich is rumored as the “head-coach-in-waiting” after he led the Redbirds to a 21-14 record.

Jankovich has a great relationship with Brown after spending time with him while he was an assistant at Kansas with Bill Self, who considers Brown a mentor.

However, reportedly Jankovich is waiting on a written contract that he would take the head coaching position following Brown before making a decision.

Whether or not Jankovich will accept is not known at this time.

The rest of the staff is also rumored to be complete with former Illinois assistant Jerrance Howard and former Kentucky assistant Rod Strickland. Howard is considered to be one of the best recruiters in the country, which will be key to locking down in state talent for the team that it has lacked over the past few years. Strickland has spent the past two years on John Calipari’s staff in an administrative role with Kentucky.

Brown provides SMU with the big name it was missing on its sidelines in the past. With the move to the Big East coming after next season, SMU needed to make a splash and it did. We will have a full profile on Brown, player reactions, student reactions and SMU’s committed recruits reaction if he is in fact confirmed by the SMU Athletic Department. Whether or not Jankovich will accept is not known at this time.

Brown provides SMU with the big name it was missing on its sidelines in the past.

With the move to the Big East coming after next season, SMU needed to make a splash and it did.

We will have a full profile on Brown, player reactions, student reactions and SMU’s committed recruits reaction if he is in fact confirmed by the SMU Athletic Department.

Larry Brown, the only basketball coach to win both an NBA and NCAA title is the primary candidate for SMU’s empty basketball head coach job. (Associated Press)