Student performances takes center stage with Sing Song

MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus
Student members of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and the Lyle School of Engineering perform “The Best is Yet to Come” during a dress rehearsal for the 2011 production, Sing Song Musical Medleys.

Student members of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and the Lyle School of Engineering perform “The Best is Yet to Come” during a dress rehearsal for the 2011 production, Sing Song Musical Medleys. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

A “Musical Medley” will fill McFarlin Auditorium Friday night as the annual Sing Song performance takes the stage.

Each of the six teams had to choose a genre of music and write an original musical using songs from the category.

“This year the groups had a lot more freedom. There were countless songs to choose from within each genre, so groups were not as confined as they have been in years past,” Kate Herman, the vice president of programming for Sing Song, said. “They really had to use their imagination to think of an original plot.”

Beta Theta Pi and Alpha Chi Omega have created a story within the soundtrack genre; Beta Upsilon Chi and Tri Delta a funk piece; Gamma Phi Beta and the Lyle School of Engineering a jazz piece; and Kappa Alpha Order and Delta Gamma a Motown story. Sigma Phi Epsilon and Pi Beta Phi will give a Broadway performance and Senatus Populusque Romanus, a group made up of Virginia Snider residents, will perform a piece from the Latin genre.

“I think each group holds the potential to walk away with first place,” Sing Song Chair Jonathan Machemehl said. “This year the groups have made entertaining and original stories for the audience to enjoy.”

Previously, judges have picked the winner of the competition, but Machemehl and his committee changed things up.

“This year we have added audience involvement in the judgment process,” Machemehl said. “I cannot say exactly how this will be done until the show but the audience’s opinion will be heard.”

At the end of the night, the top three groups will walk away with a prize.

The emcee for Sing Song 2011 is senior Nick Cains. Guest performances from the Mustang Mavericks and Trigg Magic will also take place during the course of the evening.

Tickets will be sold at the door and are $12 with a student ID, $15 without. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. in McFarlin Auditorium.