Women try for upset over No. 5 Texas A&M

The SMU women’s basketball team will take on its first nationally ranked opponent of the season in a Sunday afternoon match up at No.5 Texas A&M University.

While the Mustangs lost to the Aggies 62-57 at Moody Coliseum last year, SMU is hoping a different venue can provide them with their first win on the road. The Mustangs, while heading into the locker room last season with the lead, struggled against A&M, hitting only 5-of-27 attempted field goals.

Now, with three players averaging double-figure scores, the Mustangs’ offense looks to improve to four wins in the last six meetings with the Aggies. In the 40 games between the in-state rivals, A&M holds a 23-17 advantage.

“What do we have to lose?” asked head coach Rhonda Rompola. “We’re going to go down there and just play. I always feel like when we play teams like A&M, I look at it as a challenge.”

The Aggies’ leading scorer in last season’s meeting between the teams, senior guard Takia Starks, returns to the lineup for A&M. So will the team’s second leading scorer, senior Danielle Gant

The Mustangs are led by junior forward Brittany Gilliam, who has a team-high 94 points following her career-record performance over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Gilliam is joined by forward Delisha Wills, who averages 14.8 points per game, and three-point shooter Jillion Samuels, who averages 10.5 points.

Four weeks into the season, the Mustangs are 2-4, while the Aggies are a perfect 7-0. To win, SMU needs to improve on the 56 percent rate in field goals against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

“We have to be more consistent at the free throw line and cut down on our turnovers,” explained Rompola.

Averaging 19 turnovers, the Mustangs have also struggled in second chances in each meeting.

Still working on playing together as a team and overcoming the loss of last year’s senior class, which won the Conference USA Tournament Championship, the Mustangs still are finding ways to improve.

“This is a totally new team and we’re so unpredictable. There’s no telling what’s going to happen,” said Rompola. “We haven’t exactly mastered consistency yet.”

The Mustangs return to Moody Coliseum on Dec.14 to host the University of North Texas (3-3), followed by Dartmouth College (1-5) on Dec.16.