Bennett prepares for Houston

Bennett prepares for Houston
John Schreiber

(John Schreiber)

Tuesday’s weekly press conference with Phil Bennett was somewhat of a return to normalcy after a chaotic 48 hours on the Hilltop. The focus was on SMU’s nationally televised game against the University of Houston this Sunday rather than on Bennett’s future.

But there were still signs of what had occurred over the past two days as the athletic department announced that there would be no media access to players this week.

“Because I don’t want any distractions,” Bennett said regading the closed access. “I just want us to get focused. They’ve had enough distractions.”

Bennett wants the team to be ready for what he calls the best team in Conference USA. The Cougars are in first place in the western division with a 4-1 conference record. Bennett said Houston had an explosive offense and a sound defense.

Running back Anthony Alridge will be the biggest threat to the SMU defense. He has already run for more than 1,000 yards and scored nine touchdowns.

Last year Alridge torched the Mustangs for a career-high 225 yards and scored two touchdowns in a 37-27 win over SMU.

“Alridge, who we know from last year, is really a good player,” Bennett said. “He has very good speed.”

Houston had a two-back backfield with Alridge and Jackie Battle. With Battle gone, Bennett said the Cougars have found even more ways to get Alridge the ball and make him the focal point of the offense.

“This year Alridge is doing it all,” Bennett said. “He competes, and he has instinct.”

SMU has an extra day to prepare for Houston since the game will be played Sunday at 7 p.m. on ESPN. The Mustangs will have two “Thursday” practices – full pads and workout – on Thursday and Friday this week to get ready.

“We’ve got an extra day, which we need,” Bennett said. “We’ve got some guys banged up.”

Safeties Bryce Hudman (shoulder) and De’Von Bailey (lower leg) along with Patrick Handy and Serge Elizee are questionable for this Sunday. Cory Muse is out indefinitely with a lower-leg injury.

At this point Bennett will start the same players in the secondary that he did last week.