Cusack shines in ‘Martian Child’

Somewhere between “Like Mike” and “Daddy Day Camp,” Hollywood forgot how to make a family film. More recently, we’ve been tricked into watching pandering piles of sugary crap, filled with fart jokes and stereotypes that barely appeal to children, much less to the people who have to pay for said children to see the movie.

A family film is supposed to appeal to literally every member of the family. Mothers, fathers, teenagers and children should be able to individually identify with a character or situation in the film and find something likeable. “Martian Child,” the new film starring John Cusack and directed by Menno Meyjes, is easily the best family film in years.

Cusack (“1408,” “Must Love Dogs”) plays David Gordon, a science fiction writer who’s always seen himself as an outsider. When his wife dies just before the two were about to adopt a child, David decides to go through with the adoption process and takes in Dennis (Bobby Coleman), a young boy who believes he’s from Mars. David and Dennis seem like a perfect match, but social workers and teachers struggle with Dennis’ odd behavior and David’s parenting methods. With help from his sister (Joan Cusack, “Ice Princess,” “School of Rock”) and a close friend (Amanda Peet, “Syriana,” “A Lot Like Love”), David and Dennis become a beautifully dysfunctional family unit.

A story that gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling? Check. Valuable moral lesson to be learned? Check. A lovable dog? Yep, this movie has that, too. But “Martian Child” takes the family film formula and executes it with such deadpan humor and visual boldness that it’s easy to look past its saccharine exterior and be moved by its massive amount of heart.

John Cusack is a big part of that equation, as his usual sardonic performance suits him here. He brings both gravity and hilarity to a role that would be boring to watch if performed by anyone else.

Young Bobby Coleman is believable, adorable, and, most importantly, not annoying. Coleman plays the role of a simultaneously weird and broken little boy with a beautiful realism that makes you root for his inevitable happy ending.

Not only is the happy ending inevitable, it’s a little predictable, too. But for the most part, writers Seth Bass and Jonathan Tolins did a decent job adapting the screenplay from David Gerrold’s novel of the same title. The dialogue is sharp and original. Bass and Tolins did a particularly good job writing for the character of Dennis. Too often, Hollywood portrays children as creepily precocious. Dennis is portrayed as genuinely intelligent and markedly offbeat without seeming like a cliché in the slightest.

The movie also makes a smart choice in focusing more on the father-son dynamic and less on the potential romantic interest of Amanda Peet or the business-related subplot. The editors really trimmed the fat on this film, making every moment count. That makes the difference between bloated and beautiful in a movie like this.

Visually, director Menno Meyjes does an incredible job. He takes what could be a bland family movie full of suburban fluff and makes it into something far more extraordinary. There is a particular scene in which David and Dennis are discussing pretending to be normal as they ride in David’s car in the city. The nighttime city lights reflected on David’s windshield and windows, making the scene seem like it’s taking place in outer space. It’s remarkable and original enough to make you smile.

There’s so much to love about “Martian Child” that it’s easy to look past its family film label and see through to its honest heart. And although it’s touching, it’s also quirky and hilarious. In short, it’s a movie that even the most gruesome creature from another galaxy can’t hate.