First of final four games for SMU

Emmanual Sanders is a key component to the SMU passing game.
Stuart Palley

Emmanual Sanders is a key component to the SMU passing game. (Stuart Palley)

Watch writers Jordan Hofeditz and Mark Norris discuss this Sunday’s SMU vs. Houston game in a video preview.

A lot has happened since last week’s 29-23 loss to Tulsa in the final minutes.

There appears to be nothing left for the Mustangs to play for: There will be no bowl game, no conference championship and no head coach.

Head coach Phil Bennett was fired Sunday by Athletic Director Steve Orsini, but was asked to stay on to coach the final four games of the season. It was the way both of them wanted it.

But now it is back to business on the field, where the Mustangs have had the most problems this season: on the road.

It is a tale of two teams for SMU.

At home, with the exception of Texas Tech, the offense puts up points left and right, and the defense gives up just as many. On the road, the defense seems to step up, with the exception of Arkansas State, and the offense can’t get into a rhythm.

But it is SMU’s defensive struggles that have been highlighted this season. The defense has given up a 600-yard passing game, a 300-yard receiving game and a 300-yard rushing game.

Against Houston, all three could happen.

Houston comes into the game with two 1,000-yard passers, a 1,000-yard rusher and a receiver with 981 yards. To say the Houston offense is potent would be an understatement.

But the SMU defense made a vast improvement against Tulsa and played its best defensive game of the season. Some younger players helped the most.

Defensive linemen Youri Yenga and Jordan Johnson each picked up big numbers while Tyler Johnson made a name for himself in the secondary.

The biggest improvement was team tackling. If the first guy didn’t make the play he was able to slow the opponent down enough so the second guy could.

They were getting to the quarterback and had good defensive pursuit. They were also able to force turnovers.

If the Mustangs’ defense continues to play like that, Sunday’s game could be a little more interesting than most expect.

The problem is the Mustangs’ offense.

The defense will give up a good number of points, especially to an offense like Houston’s. It will be the offense’s job to keep up with them.

Once getting the late lead against Tulsa, the offense seemed to hit a wall, literally around the one-yard line. If SMU gets a lead at any point in the game, it will have to keep the pressure on the Cougars by continuing to score.

Last season, SMU fought back from an early deficit to take a lead at halftime. The Mustangs then gave away the lead and the game.

Bennett said the Mustangs played their best 58 minutes of football against Tulsa. To stand a chance against Houston it will take all 60.

The game is nationally televised on ESPN on Sunday at 7 p.m.

DeMyron Martin ran for just 30 yards on 11 carries against Houston in last year’s game. The Mustangs will need more production out of their big running back if they want to control the game on Sunday. (Stuart Palley)