Sports Briefs

Iron Skillet game moved

The annual SMU vs. TCU game was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday Oct. 1, but the game has now been moved to Friday Sept. 30. The game is slated to start at 7 p.m. at the newly renovated Amon G. Carter Stadium and will be shown live on CBS Sports. This is the first time TCU has hosted a Friday game since 2001. Last season’s match, which was also played on a Friday night, saw TCU defeat SMU, 41-24.

Mustangs hire Gansz

SMU officially named Frank Gansz Jr. as their new special teams coach this weekend. Prior to arriving on the Hilltop, Gansz served as UCLA’s special teams coach for three seasons. Gansz also served as the special teams coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2001 to 2005 and for the Baltimore Ravens in 2006 and 2007. Ganz’s father, Frank Gansz Sr., served as SMU’s special teams coach in 2008.

Two athletes honored

SMU football player Kelvin Beachum and women’s diver Audra Egenolf were honored for their achievements on and off the field. Beachum was given the “M” Award, the University’s most prestigious honor. The “M” award is given to individuals who go “above and beyond the call of duty,” while Engolf earned the Presidential Award of Excellence for her 3.982 GPA as an accounting major. Engolf is a three-time All-Academic team selection.