Lack of attendance prevents RHA decisions

The Residence Hall Association did not approve the budget for hall improvements at Wednesday’s general session because not enough delegates were present for voting. The item has been moved to RHA’s next general session, which is the last meeting of the semester.

If the budget is not voted on at the next meeting, no requested hall improvements will be granted. The RHA general assembly met Wednesday in the Hughes-Trigg Forum at 4 p.m.

The executive board was disappointed in the lack of commitment from the delegates. Vice President Roshel Aghassi stressed the importance of attendance, especially for the next general session.

“If delegates are not here next session, hall improvement funds cannot be passed,” Aghassi said. “If people are not here, then you can say goodbye to the money.”

According to Robert’s Rules of Order, which is the parliamentary procedure RHA follows, a quorum of 29 members must be present to vote on budget proposals. Wednesday’s meeting of 25 members fell four short of the requirement. The RHA constitution states a delegate’s duties include attending all RHA general assembly meetings.

RHA is the governing body of all campus residence halls and is open to all students living in the halls. The organization was established with the goal of self-government for the residence halls.

The general assembly consists of elected RHA delegates, Hall Council Presidents and members of the Executive Board. Voting members include all members of the general assembly excluding the parliamentarian and the president.

The delegates that represent the dorm halls on campus submit requests to the RHA executive board for funding of various improvements in their halls. The RHA has a budget they use for such improvements. The executive board decides which requests should be voted on in general session, and the delegation votes to decide which requests get final approval.

Delegates at the meeting were concerned about the attendance issue. “It’s kind of upsetting. If people really want to be involved, then why don’t they attend the meetings?” said Fine Arts Community delegate Jordan Traxler.

RHA President Lacey Brutschy hopes delegates take their responsibilities seriously. “There is no excuse not to be here at the next meeting,” Brutschy said.

The last RHA final session is Wednesday Nov. 29 in the Hughes-Trigg Forum at 4 p.m.