Women’s basketball looks to even record on the road

After dropping its first game of the season to the University of Texas at Arlington on Saturday, the SMU women’s basketball team hits the road for a two-game series, beginning with the University of Arkansas on Friday.

On Monday, SMU travels to the University of Eastern Illinois to take on the 3-1 Panthers.

“We’re trying to find our identity,” explained head coach Rhonda Rompola. “I think what our players found out is a championship season doesn’t just carry over to the next year.”

Relying heavily on junior forwards Brittany Gilliam and Delisha Wills, post Alice Severin and guard Jillian Samuels, Rompola is expecting the Mustangs’ talent to carry the team to its first win.

“We’re trying to teach our leaders to be leaders, because our leaders and captains come from our junior class,” said Rompola. “We had five seniors graduate. With that we lost a lot of points, a lot of experience and a lot of leadership, and leaders aren’t just born leaders.”

Heading into their first road game of the season, the defending Conference USA Champion Mustangs are 0-1 after their 85-79 loss to UTA. The Razorbacks are 2-0 after defeating Rogers State University and the University of Louisiana at Monroe at home.

In Arkansas’ most recent win, the Razorbacks shot 71 percent from the field and 61 percent from the free-throw line. In comparison, the Mustangs, in their loss last week to UTA, averaged just 56 percent in field-goal shooting and 71 percent from the line.

Led by the senior duo of Ayana Brereton and Whitney Jones, the Razorbacks also have a roster of mixed talent between seniors and freshmen.

“To beat Arkansas on the road, we’re going to have to play a great game,” said Rompola. “We have to play a whole lot better than we did Friday. Our junior class is crucial. They are our experienced players.”

EIU went 13-5 last season on its home court and is undefeated this season. Last season, the Panthers finished second place in the Ohio Valley Conference standings, but lost in the league tournament championship game.

Returning for her final year as a Panther, Rachel Galligan, was the team’s leading scorer last year. Senior guards Ellen Canale and Megan Edwards, senior forward Lindsey Kluempers and junior guard Lauren Sturtevant also are back from last season.

“We’re a team that’s not there yet,” said Rompola. “I believe that as we get older and mature and our freshmen mature, we’ll be a batter team. But it’s going to take some time.