Mustangs finish seventh

The SMU cross country team competed at the NCAA South Central Region Championships at the Cottonwood Creek Golf Course in Waco this weekend and fought their way to a seventh place finish with a 215 point total.

Before taking part in the 6K race hosted by Baylor University, the Mustangs garnered a fifth place finish at the Conference USA Championships.

Individually, SMU was led by sophomore Mary Alenbratt who earned All-Region honors after posting a time of 21:03.9.

The Swedish native finished 12th out of 125 runners and eclipsed her personal best time by 25 seconds.

As a freshman she competed in the NCAA Championships, and this is Alenbratt’s second consecutive All-Region accolade.

The sophomore earned All- Conference USA second team honors earlier this month after a 10th place finish at the Conference USA Championships and was named Conference USA Cross Country Athlete of the Week in September.

The Ponies also had two other runners finish in the top 50 overall.

Junior Monika Korra finished 34th with a time of 21:32.3, which was a personal record.

Like Alenbratt, the Norway native competed in the NCAA Championships last year.

Senior Aasha Marietta finished just inside the top 50 (48th) with a time of 21:45.1. Her time was also a career best.

Freshmen Klara Bodinson (21:58.4), Lovisa Lindh (22:40.4), Caitlin Kleen (23:22.1), and Catriona McClowory (23:27.3) also competed for SMU in their first South Central Regionals.

Bodinson finished just outside the top 50 (54th) and Lindh finished inside the top 75 at 74th.

The University of Texas won the meet with a point total of 46.

The Mustangs will conclude their cross country season at the NCAA Championships on Nov. 22.