Women’s soccer hopes for goals on the road

The SMU women’s soccer team will hit the road this weekend in an attempt to redeem themselves from last weekend’s downfall.

The Mustangs fell to Southern Miss last Friday 0-1, followed by an 0-5 loss to the Conference USA leading Knights from Central Florida on Sunday night.

This past weekend’s results dropped the Mustangs to 5-5-1, and 1-3-0 in Conference USA. SMU is currently No. 9 in conference standings.

When asked what the team needs to do to win the approaching games, head coach Brent Erwin explained, “We have got to find the solution of what the UCF game was. We have to put this behind us.”

Erwin went on to explain that once his team gets one goal, many more are sure to follow. This weekend’s games will show if the Mustangs can finally get that one goal and the boost they need to improve their standing in the conference.

The Mustangs put up a strong defense against both teams, but the SMU offense was unable to get a ball past either goalkeeper. Despite the score, the Mustangs outshot both opponents, and Gunter had a combined total of seven saves.

Between hitting the crossbar, and barely missing shots, the Mustangs are not far from breaking loose of their scoreless bind. Kim Peabody, Kimber Bailey, Jennifer Raad and Allison Brill all had shots on goal last week, and hope to turn things around for their teammates in the upcoming matches.

The team will begin its weekend on the road when it takes on the defending C-USA champions, the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers.

The Blazers currently hold a 5-6-1 record overall, and are 1-2-0 in conference play, and ranked No. 8.

Friday’s game is scheduled to begin at 7 pm in Birmingham, Ala.

The Mustangs will hit the road again to take on Memphis on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 1 p.m. in Memphis, Tenn.

The Memphis Tigers currently stand at No. 3 in conference rankings. The team posts a 9-2-1 overall record and a 2-0-1 record in C-USA.

The team will return to Westcott Field next week to take on the Owls from Rice on Friday at 7 p.m. Following Friday’s game, the Mustangs will host No. 11 Houston at 1 p.m.