Mustangs crush Knights, 3-1

The SMU women’s volleyball team continued their winning streak this past Sunday by finishing their road trip with 3-1 victory over the University of Central Florida. After winning the first game, SMU dropped the second one in a 29-31 back and forth thriller. With both teams tied at one game each, the Mustangs buckled down and dismantled the Knights with a 25-21 game three win and a dominant 25-14 game four performance to end the match.

The attack for SMU was led mostly by outside hitter Kathryn Wilkerson. Her 17 kills were most on the team and played a large part in helping her win Conference-USA honors for offensive player of the week. Wilkerson also received help from fellow outside hitter Jessica Oliver and middle blocker Courtney Manning, who both recorded double digit kills as well with 10 apiece. Senior Catlin Adair and junior Dana Powell’s seven kills also made key contributions for SMU’s offensive attack Sunday.

Powell was also the Mustangs’ leader on the defensive side. She recorded a game high 20 digs, which was nearly matched by Wilkerson who had 17, and Sidney Stewart who accounted for 15 herself. This stingy defensive play and steady offensive attack proved to be too much for the Knights who were dealt their 10th in conference loss and 15th overall on the year.

The win was the Mustangs’ sixth in a row and improved their record for the month of November to a perfect 4-0.  It also set the mark for most wins in a single season at 23, which ties the Mustangs’ record from the 2003 season. SMU looks to shatter Houston’s winning record this upcoming Friday.

As the season winds down, SMU continues to trail the nationally ranked Tulsa Golden Hurricane for first place in conference play. With only three games remaining, SMU is behind Tulsa by two games. The teams meet in Oklahoma for an end of the year showdown on Nov. 27.