Women’s basketball picks up first win

The SMU women’s basketball team won its first game of the regular season Friday, boosting the team to 1-4 after defeating Sam Houston State University 73-52 in the SMU Hoops for the Cure Tournament.

Ending their three game losing streak in the second week of play, the Mustangs found their single win of the weekend in round one of the annual tournament at Moody Coliseum.

In the championship game of the tournament, the Charlotte 49ers defeated the Mustangs 76-74 on a buzzer-beater by Ashley Spriggs. Charlotte defeated Fresno State 70-69 in the first round on Friday.

“We’re improving with every game, and that’s out goal,” said head coach Rhonda Rompola. “We need to improve and progress.”

SMU (1-4) faces Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 7 p.m. tonight at Moody Coliseum.

In the opening round of the tournament, SMU had two players post double digit scores for the fourth consecutive game. Junior forwards Delisha Wills and Brittany Gilliam each had 12 and 11 points, respectively, coupled with eight rebounds from Wills and five from Gilliam.

For the third time this season, Wills, the team’s leading scorer, posted the Mustangs’ highest score. Sam Houston State’s Britni Martin also had 12 points.

The Bearkats gained their largest lead of four points with just less than one minute remaining in the first half, but they could not keep up with the Mustangs’ 49 percent field goal average and 71 percent free-throw completion rate.

Clinching the lead by as many as 25 points with 12 minutes remaining, SMU posted its biggest margins in points in the paint and rebounds. Pulling down 51 boards compared to Sam Houston’s 31, and scoring 38 points in the paint next to the Bearkats’ 14, SMU also posted a perfect 6-6 in free throws in the first half.

Capping off its ninth straight win over the Bearkats, SMU improved to 9-1 against Sam Houston State.

“With each game they become more experienced, and that’s going to help us down the road,” said Rompola about the season’s first win.

The Mustangs suffered a heartbreaking loss in the championship, but received plenty of fan support.

“That was probably one of the best games from a fan standpoint,” said Rompola.

Wills, Gilliam and junior guard Jillian Samuels prevailed for the Mustangs, all posting double figure scores.

Tied 43-43 at the half, the Mustangs came close to matching the 49ers in stats, shooting 56 percent from the field, compared to Charlotte’s 50 percent rate. SMU pulled down just four offensive rebounds, compared to their opponent’s 10. But the Mustangs made up for it with ten defensive rebounds.

Hill tied the score at 74-74 with just 21 seconds remaining, but Spriggs, who went on to receive Tournament MVP honors, drained a field goal with less than one second remaining to give her team the win.

“Our kids needs to learn how to finish and they need to learn how to play hard all the time,” explained Rompola. “Until they learn how to do that, they’re going to be on the short end of the end result.”

Mustangs look for second win

SMU currently holds a 1-0 advantage over the Islanders. They defeated Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 74-70 on the road last season.

“They’re a scary team,” said Rompola. “They’re a team that if you’re not having a good night, it could be along night for you.”

In last season’s victory, Wills had a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds, coupled with 10 points from Samuels. Shooting a near perfect 11-of-12 from the line, the Mustangs’ defense prevailed in the season-opeing win. SMU led at halftime and held the Islanders to just 42 percent in field goals and 33 percent in 3-pointers.

This season, the Islanders have averaged 55 points, led by Myeisha Myles, who averages 11.8 points. The Mustangs have averaged 72 points, led by the trio of Wills, Samuels and Gilliam, who all average double-digits. Gilliam also has averaged a team-high 8.3 rebounds per game.

“If we don’t come out ready to play against Corpus, we won’t get the result we want. We have to try and finish as strong as we can before exams start,” said Rompola.

Following a road game next week against No.8 Texas A&M, the Mustangs return to Moody Coliseum to host the University of North Texas and Dartmouth University.