SMU Art Association partners with UP City Hall

When Amy Revier became president of the Student Art Association in the fall semester of her sophomore year at SMU, she never imagined all the success she would help bring to the organization.

She knew that SAA had potential. So like any talented artist, she worked diligently to help bring out that potential.

Now, only a year later, the organization has become one of the leading arts organizations on campus and is recognized outside of SMU and all over the Dallas arts community.

The organization has invited visiting artists to campus, begun a biweekly newsletter in Meadows and hosted PBS’s “Art: 21” series screenings.

They have recently become a part of the University Park City Hall’s art display which opened earlier this week.

“We are very pleased to be partnering with the city and showcasing the work of our talented art students,” said José Bowen, dean of the Meadows School of the Arts.

“We’re also proud of the way Amy, the Student Art Association and the Division of Art embraced this project,” Bowen added, “because community engagement is critically important to us at the Meadows School.”

Revier feels similarly and says that having a dialogue with the community is an essential component to furthering a career as an artist.

She said that because the community is so important to artists, she wants SAA to be the link that connects the two as a benefit to both.

“I knew that relationship needed to be established,” she said.

Because SAA was asked to head this project, Revier, along with several of her peers, was part of the panel that selected the pieces that would be on display.

Emily Ewbank, senior and vice president of SAA, has a drawing at the exhibit.

She said she is excited about all the work that is going to be on display.

The project features seven different artists for a total of 22 different two-dimensional works from both graduate and undergraduate students.

Because several works still need matting and framing, not all the pieces were hung this week, but Revier expects them up in about two weeks.

These pieces will be displayed in the recently renovated West Wing, which is considered the first phase of the University Park City Hall renovation.

When other parts of the building are completed in future months, several three-dimensional works will be put on display.

The new wing also includes one art piece from each of the Highland Park Independent School District’s seven campuses.

Revier makes clear the fact that this wasn’t an endeavor she could have accomplished alone.

She calls Noah Simblist, assistant professor of art, and Emily Ewbank her partners in contributing to the success of SAA.

She also names Bethany Stevens, Meadows Senator, as a huge part of the SAA support system.

“This is a great learning experience for student artists, but anyone whose pieces weren’t chosen this year shouldn’t be discouraged,” Revier says. “Each display will be up for nine months based around the school year and then a new rotation of pieces will be selected and displayed.”