SMU takes first in Hoops for the Cure Classic, take on TCU Frogs Wednesday

+Fridays+cartoons
Friday’s cartoons

Mallory Singleton (44) in the Nov. 12, 2011 victory against Alcorn State, 76-54, in Moody Coliseum. The Mustangs are 5-1 this season. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

After a successful Thanksgiving weekend, the Lady Mustangs are preparing to take on metroplex rivals, Texas Christian University.

While many fellow classmates were visiting home, eating turkey and enjoying the respite of a long weekend before finals take hold, the SMU women’s basketball team was busy dominating their opposition in the eighth annual SMU Hoops for the Cure basketball tournament.

The Mustangs put on a scoring show, defeating Montana state in a 71-70 thriller to earn the title of tournament champion, as well as continue their strong start on the year by improving their record to 5-1.

The excitement of the night was evident in the last minute comeback by the Lady Mustangs, who capitalized on Montana State’s four turnovers in the last 2 1/2 minutes of the game.
Junior Akil Simpson scored a layup that led to a 11-0 scoring steak by the Mustangs.

Simpson was only one rebound away from grabbing her second double-double of the season. She ended with nine rebounds and 11 points.

Senior Alisha Filmore had two steals in the final comeback moments of the game and added two points to the board to put the Mustangs on top after being fouled with eight seconds left in the game.

Sophomore Destynee Hives-McCray added her own double digit numbers, finishing with 10 points and five rebounds.
SMU coach Rhonda Rompala praised her players in a post game interview.

“You saw our kids get tired a little bit… I’m so proud of [the team.] They played a heck of a game there in a special situation,” Rompala said.

As the game against Montana State come to an end, SMU missed several free throws that could have cost them the game.
Fortunately, in the Hoops for the Cure title game, the Mustangs made up for deficiencies in the free throw department with solid defense that led to scoring chances.

If the statistics from the first six games of the year are any indicator, higher scoring games only mean good things for the girls in Harvard Red and Yale Blue.

In every single one of their wins, the Mustangs have scored more than sixty points.

In their one loss, to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock on Nov. 19, both teams put less than 45 points on the board.

The one thing that remains to be seen is how the team will perform in a different atmosphere. The team has yet to play a game this season outside of Moody Coliseum.

The teams’ first road test will come against the women of TCU in Fort Worth, as the Lady Mustangs attempt to further unsettle a Horned Frog team that has a 1-2 record this season.

TCU is coming off of a tough 91-80 loss to Texas State on Sunday.

The keys to the game, which is Wednesday at 8:00 p.m., are concise. The Lady Mustangs must make their free throws in all situations.

The Mustangs are 41-15 all-time against the Horned Frogs, having won three of their last five meetings.