Famous people care

If celebrities can donate time and energy, you can too

Hurricane Katrina has gotten the giving bug into everyone, from those who are less fortunate to those who are extremely wealthy. One group of people who have the ability to help out financially are celebrities, and they have been donating money and time to relief efforts across the nation.

Master P, who lost his home in the hurricane, has formed Team Rescue to bring supplies to those still in need in New Orleans. He has also donated millions of dollars to various relief efforts. He and Juvenile, another celebrity victim of the hurricane, will be performing this Friday at BET’s relief telethon.

Oprah has donated $1 million to buy food and supplies for victims. She has also promised help via her Angel Network. Oprah went down to Houston’s Astrodome to televise her show and to help victims find their lost family members.

Jamie Foxx has been serving food to 5,000 victims at a local shelter.

Matthew McConaughey has been helping victims at a shelter in Zachary, La. by letting them use his cell phone to look for lost loved ones. Thus far he has been able to reunite one mother with her daughter, who was in a shelter in Dallas.

Colin Farrell helped raise $20,000 at an auction to aid victims by selling a night with him out on the town. He also paid $50,000 for a portrait of Ray Charles at the event.

George Clooney donated $1 million to United Way to help their hurricane relief efforts.

Ellen DeGeneres, a native of New Orleans, will dedicate Monday’s show to the discussion of the hurricane as well as setting up a hurricane relief fund.

Jay Leno will help raise money by having “Tonight Show” guests sign a Harley-Davidson, which he will then put up for bid on Ebay.

The Dave Matthews Band announced a benefit concert to be played in Denver on Sept. 12.

Diddy and Jay-Z jointly pledged $1 million, while Celine Dion and her partners in Vegas each pledged $1 million to the relief.

Nicholas Cage, who has a home in New Orleans, has donated $1 million to the Red Cross. He wants to help his neighbors at this stressful time, his publicist said.

These celebs are giving money in part because they can’t physically go to New Orleans and help out.

Ed Board encourages the student body to not only give money, but to donate time and energy to relief efforts. The victims need more than money — they need a shoulder to lean on in this time of need.