Men’s basketball falls on road

The SMU men’s basketball team was held to its lowest point total since Dec. 12, 2006, in a 60-46 loss at the University of South Florida on Friday.

The Mustangs (0-1) hit only 23 percent of their field goal attempts, while the Bulls shot 36.1 percent from the field and nailed four of nine 3-pointers in the second half. The Mustangs were held to fewer than 50 points twice last season, but they hadn’t scored less than 46 since a 69-42 mid-season loss to the University of Oklahoma two seasons ago.

SMU returns home this weekend for the its annual Tip-Off Classic. The Mustangs host Houston Baptist University on Friday, Alabama State University on Saturday and Illinois State University on Sunday.

It’s hard to point fingers during a loss in a season-opener, but the Mustangs’ much-relied upon big men managed to put up only a miniscule nine points against the Bulls’ stout front line.

Bamba Fall recorded only four points and six rebounds, while 2007 Conference USA All-Freshman selection Papa Dia put up five points and four rebounds. Freshman Frank Otis started in the place of Dia, who was a starter last year, and didn’t score.

Point guard Derrick Williams, a transfer from Western Texas College, led the Mustangs’ attack with 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting. Freshman Paul McCoy recorded 10 points, three assists and three rebounds.

SMU started the game on an 8-2 run, but South Florida opened up a double-digit lead late in the second half with an 18-3 spurt. The Mustangs pulled to within six at 43-37 with 9:22 remaining, but the Bulls responded with a 10-2 run to put it out of reach.

Jesus Verdejo led the Bulls with 18 points, hitting seven field goals and four of nine 3-pointers. Sophomore Dominique Jones tallied 13 points and six assists, and senior Mobolaji Ajayi snatched 11 rebounds.

Mustangs sign first freshman of 2009-2010 class

Julius Omoniurhie Francis, a 6-foot-11 center from Olney Good Council (Md.) High School, signed a national letter of intent Friday to join the Mustangs next season. Francis had verbally committed to the Mustangs a couple weeks earlier.

The Nigerian native averaged 5.4 points and 4.6 rebounds as a high school junior and earned All-Conference honorable mention.

“Julius is a big post player that runs the floor well and plays with a toughness that I like,” SMU head coach Matt Doherty told SMUMustangs.com. “With Bamba being a senior, we felt we needed to bring in a post man. We are excited that he will be a Mustang.”

The Mustangs have one remaining open scholarship for this year’s signing class.