Collins and Olsen not enough for SMU equestrian against Georgia

The SMU equestrian team lost 8-4 Friday on the road to the No. 3-ranked Georgia Bulldogs.

Junior Kristen Collins and freshman Mallory Olsen each took two victories, giving the Mustangs their only points in the competition.

Olson held the high score for SMU in equitation over fences, defeating Kelly Coperthwait 78-77. In the equitation on the flat division, she beat Amanda Hanafi 80-73.

Collins won by a margin of 66-60 over the fences and 73-71 on the flat. She is 3-2 over fences and 4-1 on the flat during the fall season.

The Mustangs lost 4-2 in both disciplines, 923-861 over fences and 448-431 on the flat.

Generally, riders are scored based on their posture and the fluidness of a horse’s movement on the course.

In equitation over fences, riders are judged on their control of the horse and how cleanly the horse clears barriers. In the equitation on the flat competition, riders are judged on how well they control their horses, based on a series of tasks they’re assigned to complete.

SMU was nearly able to win on the flat, but two close matches didn’t go its way. SMU’s Emily Gardner missed a victory by one point in her 67-66 loss to Kitt Ritter. Maia VanDyke posted the second best score for SMU, but her efforts were not enough to claim a win in a 85-79 loss to Katie Hagerty.

SMU’s only win so far this season was a 10-0 drubbing of Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn. The lost matches are to Oklahoma State University, Texas A&M University and Delaware State University.

Last season, SMU finished 1-4 in the fall, with its only win coming against rival Texas Christian University. The Mustangs finished with a 1-2 record in the spring.

The Mustangs’ loss on Friday can be avenged Nov. 23 when Georgia travels to Park Lane Equestrian Center for a rematch. After that, SMU takes a break before beginning the spring season on Jan. 31.