Overcoming the holiday slump

Is the Christmas spirit really discouraging students from going to class?

It’s that time of year again.

Midterms are over, and the end of the semester has arrived. And, for some strange reason, a wave of ADD has swept over the campus.

Questions of ‘should I go to class?’ are answered by ‘no, this bed is far too warm and comfy.’ Those promises you made to yourself at the beginning of the semester have been broken twice already. Classes are skipped. Procrastination is king.

So what exactly is the cause? Surely some evil demon is afoot, making us all horrible students and exactly what we said we wouldn’t become in August.

The answer is simple: Christmas.

Yes, Christmas. It’s still over one month away, but the holiday can be blamed for the ADD that we have all been experiencing.

Christmas means Christmas break. Christmas break means no classes. No classes means no effort required. Thus, the chain of procrastination is formed. It’s the promise of days without assignments and classes that has the entire student population dragging its heels.

We’re all too excited to work.

And we’ve got reason to be excited. It’s colder. Christmas is already appearing, though Thanksgiving is still two weeks away. Stores have already put up their Christmas displays, many the day after Halloween.

Even SMU has started to put up lights for the Celebration of Lights on Dec. 7. If that doesn’t put you in the holiday mood, nothing will.

But for all this anticipation, EdBoard encourages its readers to remember that there’s still a month to go before you can finally take a long-deserved break. Just because it’s getting colder and decorations are going up doesn’t mean that classes are over.

So before you hit the snooze button, remember this: grades don’t stop after midterms. Classes continue, and attendance is still taken. How will your actions now affect your final grade and all the hard work you put into the first half of the semester?

You can still keep that countdown to your last final, and unless you think it shouldn’t be played until after Thanksgiving, you can still listen to Christmas music. You can even watch the lights being hung in the trees in front of Dallas Hall.

Just don’t forget about school. After all, it is the reason you’re here in the first place.