Volleyball defeats Southern Miss and UCF

The SMU volleyball team had a successful weekend on the road, defeating Southern Miss and UCF.

The Mustangs started the weekend at Southern Miss on Friday night. SMU needed just four games to take care of the Golden Eagles. Southern Miss has had their problems getting started against conference opponents as their record dropped to 1-6 in Conference USA.

The two teams battled in the first game as the Mustangs were forced to score 32 points to get the win. The final three games were not as close as the Mustangs took the second and fourth game 30-16 while dropping the third game 30-25.

SMU had double doubles from Kathryn Wilkerson and Caitlin Rainbird, each reaching double-digits in kills and digs.

The Mustangs faced another struggling team when they traveled to Orlando, Fla. to face off against the UCF Knights. The Knights came into the game winless in C-USA games, and they kept that dubious honor when the match ended.

SMU dropped the opening game, but came back strong to win three in a row and take the match.

Wilkerson and Rainbird each added another double double in the match, and Stefanie Kons joined them with 48 assists and 14 digs.

The Mustangs improved their record to 14-8 and are now an even 4-4 in the conference. SMU splits next weekend’s games opening on Friday night at Tulsa and returning home for a 1 p.m. game on Saturday against to face Tulsa again.