SMU Fashion Week to host kickoff party

Courtesy of Alex Small
A model walks down the runway at SMU’s Fashion Week 2011.

A model walks down the runway at SMU’s Fashion Week 2011. (Courtesy of Alex Small)

The second annual SMU Fashion Week is beginning its five-day fashion extravaganza with a bang, hosting a kick-off party at the Angelika Film Center at Mockingbird Station at 6 p.m. Monday, April 1.

“The kick-off party serves to join SMU with its Dallas community in celebrating the start of the exciting week ahead,” said senior Daniella Lopez, SMU Fashion Week Event Coordinator.

A short walk from campus, the party will feature pop-up shops from Movida and Urban Outfitters, who both have permanent shops within Mockingbird Station.

The event, hosted by Lisa Petty, of the local Dallas fashion blog DFW Style Daily, and Wallflower model Adam George, is free and also offers a free screening of The September Issue outside on the Angelika Film Center’s mezzanine at 7:30 p.m.

SMU Fashion Week chose to change the location of the kickoff party to the Angelika Film Center because the theater and SMU Fashion Week share a passion for supporting fresh, upcoming talent.

Students and guests will also enjoy music by DJ Blake Ward while receiving manicures and pedicures from Castle Nails, also located permanently in Mockingbird Station.

While snacking on the kick-off party’s Urban Taco food, students can attend a trend presentation led by SMU junior and fashion and lifestyle blogger Rebecca Marin of www.rebeccamarin.com.

The week, celebrated in collaboration with SMU’s Meadows School of the Arts, Fashion Media minor and SMU Retail Club, also features fashion panels, a weeklong donation drive for the Genesis Women’s shelter and culminates with a fashion show on April 5. Visit SMU Fashion Week’s Facebook for information on the week’s other events.

Make sure to RSVP for the kick-off party at www.sfwkickoffparty.eventbrite.com

A model struts down the runaway at SMU’s Fashion Week show in 2011 (Courtesy of Alex Small)