Studying Abroad

Some friendly advice for those off to school overseas

As groups of students board planes to fly to other countries this summer, Ed Board thinks it prudent to temporarily assume the role of a nagging parent. Here’s a list of things to consider before heading away for a summer study abroad trip:

1) Escape the bubble. The problem with many of the SMU-in-London, SMU-in-Paris and many of the other SMU programs is that they tend to turn into exactly that: SMU in a beautiful foreign city with its own cultural treasures to enjoy. While no semester abroad would be complete with late nights at the pubs with the drinking buddies, try not to let that become the highlight of your trip. Encourage your Hilltop expatriates to avoid spending all their time at the “American bars and restaurants.” Spend some time enjoying the local culture.

2) Don’t fulfill stereotypes. In the post-9/11 world, some of our fellow Americans feel it imperative to constantly wear their flag on their sleeve. It’s not necessary, especially while your abroad. There are ways to demonstrate your American patriotism without shoving baseball and apple pie down clenched throats. Celebrating July 4th at an “American bar” might be a better idea than stumbling home from the pub screaming the Star-Spangled Banner at an ungodly hour. There’s nothing foreigners hate more than jingoist American wankers.

3) Be safe. Before heading out for a night on the town, be aware of the area you’re heading into. Will you be able to get a ride back if you need to? Is it the part of town you don’t want to be after dark? Will your language skills inhibit your safety should something come up? Be sure to give these questions at least a cursory thought before planning a weekend away trip.

4) Enjoy. This will be one of the most memorable experiences of your life. Take some time away from the schoolwork, the drinking and the sightseeing to realize that you are in a beautiful foreign locale.

Well, the lectures over; now give us a kiss. And would you be two embarrassed if we drove you to the airport?