Women’s track takes top marks at UTA

The SMU women’s track and field team had a strong showing this weekend at the Bobby Lane Invitational at the University of Texas at Arlington.

The team finished with 11 top-ten marks at the event.

Throwers Ayla Gill, Helena Perez and distance runner Mary Alenbratt each took home their first wins of the outdoor season.

All three women also placed second in their respective events last week at the TCU Horned Frog Invitational.

Gill placed first in the hammer throw with a toss of 53.26 meters, while Perez took home the top spot in the shot put with a throw of 15.31 meters – just 0.02 meters short of her personal best.

Freshman Rayann Chin rounded out the throwing team with season bests in both the discus and the shot put. She took sixth in the shot put with a throw of 14.04 meters, while her toss of 49.47 meters was able to win her a third place finish in the discus.

Alenbratt, a junior, took home the title in the 1500 meters with a time of 4:29.27, while Kajsa Barr and Frida Kristiansson took sixth and ninth in the event respectively.

Senior Amber Evans was strong as usual, placing in the top-five in two separate events.

Evans took third in the 400 meters with a time of 54.32 and fifth in the 200 meters, finishing in 24.04.

Sophomore Isis Wilson competed alongside Evans in the 400 meter dash. Wilson took thirteenth in the event, with a time of 57.81.

Freshman Courtney Madden grabbed a pair of top-ten finishes in the long and triple jump.

Madden took eighth in the triple jump with a jump of 11.40 meters, and ninth in the long jump, with an impressive leap of 5.59 meters.

The ladies head to Austin, Texas this week to compete in the 85th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays.

The relays will be held at Mike A. Myers Stadium.

The Texas Relays originated in 1925 in Austin at Memorial Stadium.

The event was spearheaded by the legendary Clyde Littlefield, whom the event would later be named after.

The Relays showcase high school, college, and professional talent, along with an invitational section.

Last year, current sophomore Lisa Egarter placed ninth in the Heptathlon, an event containing seven different sections: 100 meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200 meter dash, long jump, javelin throw and the 800 meters.

Perez took seventh in the shot put last year, but is bound to improve this year based on impressive performances this season.

The team will participate in the Relays from Wednesday through Saturday.