Contemporary Ballet of Dallas produces genre-bending dance pieces

Photo courtesy of CBD

(Photo courtesy of CBD)

If you think dance is boring, Contemporary Ballet of Dallas, founded by SMU alumni, strives to prove otherwise.

“This is no ‘Swan Lake,'” Artistic Director Valerie Tabor said of the upcoming “Sidewalk Stories.”

Tabor and co-founder Kelly Calhoun were SMU graduates looking to form a group that allowed them to continue dancing, which later developed into a school alongside the company.

“Dancing came first. We wanted a place in Dallas where dancers could be employed,” Tabor said. “What we’ve found is that SMU alumni will join us and it will open other doors for them.”

Now at the end of its 10th season, CBD is capping off the season with “Sidewalk Stories” on May 7 at the recently renovated Texas Theatre in the Bishop Arts District.

The works featured in the performance are all original, choreographed by company members and guest choreographers. The series of vignettes all focus on different aspects of urban life.

“We are hoping to appeal to people who don’t traditionally go see dance,” Tabor said. “It’s easy to be bored to tears by a full-length production. So we offer unique works that still preserve classical traditions.”

Two other companies will be performing alongside CBD.

A tap dance troupe called Rythmic Souls will be performing its piece, “Tap This,” which received rave reviews at WaterTower Theatre’s Out of the Loop Fringe Festival.

Epiphany Dance Arts, a brand new company formed by former CBD company member Melissa Nagel will also perform.

“We like that we can be a sort of launching pad for our dancers,” Tabor said. “At our core we are all about our dancers, so we give them the ability to choreograph and keep them artistically fulfilled.”

Tabor describes “Sidewalk Stories” as more of an event than a dance concert. This will be the first dance company to perform in the Texas Theatre since its re-opening last year.

This production is a genre-bending combination of several forms of dance that Tabor says will give you a new impression of dance.

“We want you to leave moved or changed,” Tabor said. “We hope the audience walks out inspired.”

Student tickets are $12 in advance at contemporaryballetdallas.com.